Mors Pause

See what I did there with the title? Puh-retty clever, I know! Thanks, kind of you to say. Work on the rainbow skirt ground to almost a halt over the past week or so as I worked on these Morsbags. (Click to embiggen, as per usual.)

Morsbags with applique ukuleles

The Morsbag people are running a competition which I figured I might as well enter.  Entry requirements are simple, you need to make 10 themed Morsbags and make sure the label is included. I went with ukulele themed bags so I can hand them out at ukegroup and make people like me with Morsbag based bribes.

Sadly, the sewing machine came back from servicing with an incredible amount of oil and grease sloshing around on it. I don’t know why the screw that holds the foot on had to be coated in grease, for example. I’ve run a lot of scrap fabric through and wiped the casing down a few times, but there’s still oil/grease lurking. It’s not a problem on the skirt sewing yet as those are small bits that don’t get moved around much. There’s some splots on these bags though, which is frustrating. It’d be okay if they were for me, but I’m giving them away so it’s a bit “Sorry about the splodge there, the sewing machine service people are completely kinky for grease”.

Here we go with the sewing bit

White, pink, red and orange rows of the skirt

Sewing has commenced, with orange just now completed and rolled up for later. I’ve only fucked up the french seams once, so I’m pretty pleased with that. It bodes well for the rest of the project.

Is it, you wonder, all going a bit wonky? Of course it is. Some of my squares are more square-ish and need some faffing with to line up, and most of my seams start promisingly and then do their own thing later on. I’m not worried. For one, the sheer volume of fabric in this skirt will hide most of the wonky moments. For two, it wouldn’t be a Lyn project if it was perfect. I don’t have time for perfect.

Sewing has slowed as I replaced my old xbox360 and am distracted by shiny shiny games (Assassin’s Creed you guys! I’m murdering so many people. They deserve it, probably). Once the shine wears off there’ll be more sewing. I’ll start yellow tomorrow, which is 60 squares so we’re really getting into the big juicy numbers now.

Six Five Two

This morning, before I slipped out to “Art” class (the quotes there only apply to my personal effort in the class, everyone else knows what they’re doing which is a bit showoffy if you ask me), I cut the final 30 squares of purple and can now announce to a breathless public – all the squares are cut for this Rainbow Skirt.
Patchwork squares piled in a tower in colour order

To be honest, I probably could have finished earlier. My motivation for doing so was removed when the solid, hardworking Elna machine (circa 1968) decided everything was just too much and started making some interesting noises. It’s home again now, and feeling a bit like when you get your brakes done on your car. You’re so used to them being a bit soft you keep accidentally slamming them on. I ran up a quick bag to check it out and make sure it was all working, but I suspect I’ll pack the bags away for a while to focus on this skirt.

Hand drawn skirt pattern with a lovely coffee stain

For those wanting the full picture, here’s the “pattern”. Some things of note, apart from the coffee stain and various other stains I can’t determine the origin of,  Originally I was going to smooth the blend between green and blue with a nice aqua, but then I decided “fuck that” and crossed it out, firmly. The 8 at the bottom there is the number of tiers, incase I suddenly lost the ability to count things. I think the 103 is the length, but who knows? The 11cm is the size of the squares in the finished skirt, but the 13 cm refers to the whole lot with the seam allowance, which is wrong. With seam allowance, the squares are 14cm and I don’t know why I thought 13 was not only correct, but correct enough to circle.

The numbers after the colour names refer to the number of squares, but you probably figured that out yourself. Anyway, as you can see, each tier is 1.5 times as long as the one above, with some fudging to avoid half squares. The final tier is a straight up double of the one above.

In other news, the colour I had the most trouble getting hold of was orange. This morning while looking for something else I found a bundle of orange, so that was irritating. Only ended up with one slice to the fingers, though I suppose there’s still time to sew through them, cut them while trimming seams or slam them in a door.