Lamp Facelift

Today was hot, too hot to do things that involved a lot of thought. Mostly it was too hot to do anything but silently curse everyone I know who happens to have real aircon. So today’s project was simple, quick and turned out pretty well actually (you do detect a note of surprise). Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you my bedside lamp.  As it was this morning, anyway.
Lamp, BeforeIt was a lovely lamp, that cast a warm light even with the white energy saver bulb in it, but as you can see the paper shade was a little (by which I mean a lot) worse for wear. This is actually the good side, the other side was more water stained. This is due to a persistent roof leak which is over my bed. Also the paper was torn from being dropped a lot, and what you can’t see is enough pin holes to render the side perforated. I have a terrible habit of keeping my pins and needles nice and handy in any available lampshade.

So on to the makeover! I started out by removing all the “lamp” bits – not so much for safety, but because they would be in the way. Though safety is probably a decent reason too, now I come to think of it. I cut around the top and bottom of the shade, just beside the support hoops. Once I’d done that, I unpeeled the paper from the join. It came off in one piece, and I’m sure I can think of something to do with it later. Then came the hard, boring part:

Glue Everywhere

Hard, nasty glue all over the support hoops. In theory, I could have left this on. However I knew I’d look at it later and think “Should have scraped that off”. This was really the hardest bit, it took about an hour of scraping, poking and peeling using fingernails, craft knives and butter knives. Soaking the stuff in water helped a lot, making it soft and peely and kind of oddly satisfying to remove.

Now to the materials chosen. Something you should know about me is that I’m partial to brown string. I love the look, feel and smell of the stuff. Actually I like most kinds of string, but brown string is my favourite. This meant I had quite a lot of brown string about the place, which I used to wrap the shade. I did this in front of the DVD of “Love, Actually” however you can choose any movie you like, there’s no rules here.

Wrapping the string

I don’t know if you can really tell, but I wrapped it by going from the top, around the front side of the bottom hoop, up around the back and then to the front side of the top hoop. It works out to an elongated figure 8 shape – there’s probably a ton of other ways to do it, but I like the even top and bottom this way. My string is the cheap stuff, so it’s full of lovely knobbly wonky bits, which I left alone. If you wanted a smoother look, you could do this with yarn, or expensive smooth string. Up to you. Actually variegated yarn would look pretty cool, I’ll remember that for later (no I won’t).

Squeeze

Once the sections got full, it was a case of squeezing the ball through – just push the string you’ve already wrapped out of the way. You can even it out later. You’ll be surprised how many more wraps you can squeeze in this way, and it goes a long way to covering the support bar things too, if you pop an extra wrap in and push it over to hide the bar.

I did the whole shade in one kind of string, but changing it up would look really nice. Stripes! Everyone loves stripes. I also chose to go vertically,  but a horizontal wrap would work. The only thing is that the sides wouldn’t curve, so you’d end up with a straight sided shade. If that floats your boat, by all means do it that way.

I just did plain old knots to hold the string in place. Once it was all wrapped up, I dabbed some glue on the knots and when that was dry, cut off most of the tail. The “internal” knots where I joined the end of a ball of string to the start of a new one I just pushed to the back and didn’t worry about.

Now, once you’ve got your lamp all wrapped up, all that remains is to reassemble the lamp bits, plug it in and switch it on.

Lit Up

It’s a good deal less bright than the old shade, but it’s plenty bright enough to read by. I’d suggest using a cool LED or energy saver bulb if you’re not already. If you do find the lamp too dark to read by (assuming you’re doing this to a lamp you read near) you can always push the string around on the side you sit on to let more light out.

Sometimes, a project comes out looking exactly like it did in my head. I’m just as surprised as you are, seriously.

2 comments

Say stuff if you like