This dragon came as a kit, and when I unfolded the pattern sheet I thought “Oh, I’ll have to blow that up on the copier”. Haha, nope. The pattern was actual size and had some tiny, tiny pieces. This little guy is 14cm from the back of his wings to the tip of his tail, and the tops of his wings are about 11cm from the base. He fits perfectly in my hand, which is how I was going to measure him for you until I realised your hands might actually be a different size to mine.
He was kind of fiddly in places, but I think he turned out pretty well. I did take a shortcut with his arms. The pattern has the fingers individually cut out, but I looked at that and thought “Nope”. Instead, I popped in some stitches to divide the fingers after I stuffed the hands. He took a fair while to sew, but it was a joyful project. Of course it was, otherwise he’d be half sewn and shoved in a drawer (the fate of everything that turns out boring). The arms and legs are jointed, so he can be posed a little bit.
The kit is from Winterwood Toys and is available in several colourways. I went with Rainbow, obviously. The kit is really really good, I have to say. You get the pattern and instructions, the felt, thread that matches your felt, the buttons for the joints, thread for the joints, beads for the eyes (5 of those, presumably in case you drop one as they’re tiny), the wool roving for the head and a needlefelting needle to attach that with. Also a huge amount of wool stuffing, which is a delight to work with after years of the acrylic stuff. I had a heap left over, so I’m stuffing a tiny felt bear with it now.
BAM! There it is! I actually finished the month this morning, so perhaps a little cheaty but you won’t know if I don’t tell.. you.. ah. Damn. Anyway! One more day under 10 and as you can see at the end there, Spring is starting to Spring upon us so I can relegate the lavender to the Granny Squares bucket now as I don’t think I’ll be needing it again this year.
So long now! I mean the scarf is long, not that I want you to leave. I’d like to think my stitches are more even and all that, but I think they’re probably not. The edges are a lot less wonky for August though.
Now, it’s been almost a month since my last post and you’re probably all “Is that all you’ve been up to Lyn? Slack much?” to which I say “Mean.” I’ve been working on a few bits and bobs, some of which will end up here when they’re finished, and also making two more Unicorns.
Twinsies! These are off to their new homes tomorrow. As before, the pattern is by Woolhalla and the felt is from Winterwood Toys.
Last, but not least, here’s my 1 Second Everyday video for August which (like July’s video) is included here because it’s got a lot of crafting in it. Because that’s what I do that’s interesting.
I will hopefully be back with stuff to talk about before the September installment of the scarf, but I make no promises.
A while ago I was whining on Plurk about how I didn’t know what to make. My friend Evie was all “Pfft, make a unicorn for me!” so I did.
I really should set up a proper place to take photos that isn’t just the kitchen table with the newspapers cleared off the end. I also, in the future, should wait for all spiders to vacate the area (you can see him on the left). I am nothing if not professional with this blog. Wait, no, I meant nothing like professional. I get those mixed up.
Anyway. Unicorn! He came out pretty well, even if I do say so myself. The pattern is the horse pattern from Woolhalla. I chose it over other possible horse patterns because it has an actual horse shape to the legs, hooves and back – I grew up around horses so I appreciate the little details such as the form of the back legs. It did have it’s fiddly moments – popping the diamonds in at the front and back was a bit of a fiddle and I didn’t do the head straight. I think it’s okay though, he just looks a bit like he’s seen something interesting to the side.
I pondered for a considerable amount of time about how to add the horn. I made several out of felt in various methods but nothing really worked. Then I remembered I have bags of roving for felting, so I did that. The horn is wet felted which was quick and easy. Then I sewed it in place. The eyes, as you can see, are beads because my embroidery skills are not so hot and I wanted him to look somewhat even. It also took me a while to decide which colour to do the blanket stitching in until I remembered I had a couple of skeins of rainbow thread for some long forgotten project.
The felt I used is from Winterwood Toys, an Australian store selling all sorts of dyed loveliness (and are actually quite close to me I discovered. Once I’m employed again I will certainly run at them waving my debit card). I don’t plan to make this blog a “Buy things here!” sort of thing, but the quality of their felt is excellent, the colours are glorious and the shipping is quick. So you know, buy stuff there if you’re looking for nice felt and other things to make things with. I also got some of their “sea dragon” felt, which is the most delicious shades of orange with just enough pink to not be too pink.
Mr Unicorn is currently tucked into a Postpak on his way to Evie, who hopefully will love him even though he’s slightly wonky.